Want to host a holiday get-together? ’Tis the season for ugly Christmas sweater parties! Holiday sweaters are the perfect theme for a fun and festive gathering. Follow these tips and your party will be the best on the block.
1. Send out Invites: Send out invitations to all of your guests with a picture of someone in an ugly holiday sweater. Provide all of the details the guests would need to know, including information about games, food and prizes.
2. Go Shopping: The main component of the party is, naturally, the ugly sweater. As the host, you’ll want to make sure you’re dressed to impress! You can hunt for these fabulous outdated fashion statements anywhere tacky clothes are found, like garage sales, family members (i.e., Grandma and Grandpa)’s closets, rummage sales and thrift stores. Or you can always create your own sweater by purchasing a plain colored sweater and adorning it with TONS of holiday spirit, using accessories like lights, ornaments, glitter, beads, silk leaves/flowers, etc. Go to your local craft store for inspiration!
3. Don’t Forget Decor: Make a gingerbread house with candy and icing to use as a centerpiece for the food table. You can also include holiday colors in your table cloth, napkins, plates and utensils. If you have a Christmas tree, light it up so the space will be illuminated with holiday spirit. Add some warmth to the room with candles or a cozy fire in the fireplace.
4. Provide Entertainment: A scavenger hunt is a fun way to incorporate more festive cheer into your gathering. Have a list of items guests need to find, such as something from the 12 Days of Christmas song, and award a prize to the winning team or player. You can also play holiday music, show holiday movies or provide crafts for activities for guests to participate in, such as building wreaths or decorating candles for gifts.
5. Give Prizes: The winning team or player of the scavenger hunt or games that you play should receive prizes—after all, it is the season of giving! You can do a trophy that is personalized with “Tackiest Sweater Award 2010? and let the guests vote for their favorite holiday sweater. Good prize ideas include DVD’s, gift cards, candles, books, etc… Wrap them up and put them under your tree.
6. Plan the Menu: Select a potluck style that will work best for you and your guests. For example: (1) appetizers only, (2) bring your favorite dish, (3) assign each guest to bring an appetizer, main dish or dessert. Try and coordinate this in advance so there are no duplicate dishes. For beverages, there are a variety of factors to consider. Try to offer as many options as possible to cater to everyone’s preferences. Be sure to have a variety of mixers on hand as well as non-alcoholic drinks. Having a pre-made themed beverage also saves time and money while still being festive.
Best of luck with planning your next Tacky Christmas Sweater Party. Do you own a festive sweater that makes your friends laugh/cringe? Send it our way!
Photo: Ugly Holiday Sweater