Football Shaped Food Ideas Perfect for Your Party
Hello everyone! Chris here, from Celebrations at Home, ready to share more tailgating party tips! Part of the fun when tailgating or ‘homegating’ is the food. Not only eating it but making it look appetizing or interesting. In this case we think it’s a great idea to serve “football” food, or food items in the shape of a football.
You can turn almost any food idea into a “football” by shaping it and adding “stitching.” Some examples are sandwiches, large homemade pizza, brownies, cookies, and the two I’m sharing below: a cheese ball and cake.
Get my classic cheese ball recipe below, and for the cake, just use a box mix or your favorite recipe.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp celery salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- Sour cream
- Combine first 6 ingredients. Stir in bacon and onion and mix well.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove chilled cheese mixture and begin forming into a football shape. Cover with chopped pecans.
- Using a piping bag and small round tip, pipe on “stitching” with the sour cream. Serve with Wheat Thins or other crackers and your football centerpiece is finished!
To finish off your meal, you can also make a football-shaped cake. This is very simple to do. When you bake a cake in a sheet pan, simply trim the cake into the shape of a football and frost with chocolate icing. Use ‘writing icing’ to add “stitches” to the top. It’ll be delicious and perfect for the occasion!
There are many more football food items you can add to your tailgating or “homegating” party. Jim Higley, of Bobblehead Dad, scores big with a potato bar in which-you guessed it-the potatoes are little footballs! They’re really easy to make and are perfect for adults and kids alike (be MVP with the little ones by letting them help out).
And you remember Homes.com’s friend Courtney Whitmore, with Pizzazzerie.com; she also had tons of ideas for football shaped foods, including some tasty treats. You can do chocolate dipped strawberries, ice cream sandwiches, cupcakes and more! Your guests will be cheering loud when you serve mini football subs or football whoopee pies at your next party.
There you have it, football-shaped food perfect your tailgating or home-gating experience! And check out our Tailgating Guide for more resources, recipes and home-gating ideas.