Fall is the perfect time to prepare your home and family for the winter season. Be sure to follow these tips to freshen and weatherproof your home for the upcoming cooler temps. We’ve even provided you with a helpful checklist to make the process as easy as possible.
* Hire Professional Services– Have your heater or furnace inspected and serviced correctly before usage. Hire help to deep clean your furniture or carpet if you would like to remove bacteria, smells, pollutants and allergens.
The Professionals Can Take Care of This.
* Clear Your Entryway – Make it easy for your family to store and grab jackets, keys, shoes, and bags with useful storage areas and a clean cleared entry. Need ideas for storage? Check out our Drop Zone article for some inspiration.
* Store Foods – Freeze any foods or greens that you want to enjoy in the winter.
* Replace Air Conditioning Filters & Clean Humidifiers – Improve the airflow in your home by changing A/C filters to improve energy efficiency and support your family’s health.
* Safety First – Replace batteries or install smoke & carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure fire extinguishers are regularly inspected and up-to-date. Check and correct for any safety hazards inside and outside the home, such as getting rid of stacks of newspapers, cleaning gutters, or draining a lawn mower full of gasoline.
* Organize/De-Clutter – Throw away expired foods and donate unused clothing or items. Organize and de-clutter your closets, attic, spice cabinet, drawers, shed, garage, and refrigerator.
* Wash/Wipe Down your Home – Clean and sanitize your counters, walls, and windows in each room.
* Dust – Dust electronics and furniture. This includes your TV, PC, printer, window sills, bookcases, light fixtures, & ceiling fans.
* Store Away Outdoor Items – Clean, cover, and store your outdoor furniture, grills, clean and cover the pool. Turn off the faucet, drain, disconnect, clean, and store your garden hose to prevent it from splitting.
Sorry, Pool Closed!
* Clean Gutters & Downspouts – Check for blockage, leaks, security of the pipes, and repair if necessary.
* Drain Sprinkler/ Irrigation System – Prevent damage and broken systems by draining the system.
* Transport Plants & Clean Pots – Move your plants indoors before the weather gets too cold. It is recommended to move them before it reaches 40°F.
* Inspect, Inspect, Inspect – Check the Conditions Outside: Make sure stairs and railings are stable, replace outdoor light bulbs, paint, or roof shingles if necessary.
* Trim Bushes & Trees - Trim branches of foliage and prune hedges that touch the siding of your home.
**Click the image to download & print the checklist.**
Have a Safe and Happy Fall! We hope you find our Fall Checklist useful. If you have any other tips, please share with us in the comments section below. For more ideas for the home, please check our blog.