Let’s face it… moving is hard, regardless if you are moving across the country or across the street. It is also a very exciting time! After recently moving from Arizona to Ohio, I picked up a few tips along the way. I’d love to hear your tips in the comments as well.
1. Plan ahead. If possible, give yourself at least two months to plan and pack. Try to get rid of the things you don’t use. While sorting through stuff create 4 piles and think about what you really want to move.
-a throw out pile
-a keep pile
-a donate pile
-a sell pile
2. Find a good moving company. Do your research and look at different rates to see which one will be best for your family. Some companies will price match, so keep that in mind.
3. Check out the Homes.com moving center for more information on planning a big move.
4. Invest in good moving boxes and packing materials. Since your valuables will be making a long trip, it is important to bubble wrap all of your breakable items and use moving blankets on the furniture.
5. Avoid moving in the middle of summer if at all possible. You will find a better moving rate and will not be in discomfort moving in the heat.
6. Bring a friend or family member to help travel. You can always use an extra set of hands, especially if you have younger children. You may also want to consider having the kids fly with a family member while someone else drives the truck, depending on how far you’ll have to drive.
7. Map it out. If you are driving, map things out ahead of time. It also helps to purchase hotels ahead of time and make sure to take breaks along the way. You may even want to do a few tourist stops to break up the trip.
8. Ask your realtor for local places to eat, shops and things to do for the kids once you are in town.
9. Get to know your neighbors. After moving across the country and knowing no one, you’ll need to make a point to get outside and meet people. Most people are generally very friendly and would love to get to know you.
Hopefully you found some of these tips useful. Enjoy the new adventure!
What tips do you have for moving across the country?
For further decorating, DIY, organizing, money saving tips, and more, be sure to bookmark the Homes.com blog to follow all the creative tips on all things HOME!