Potluck Party Recipe – Baked Beans
In addition to long vacations and going to the pool, back yard cookouts are what summers are made of. The way we usually do it is the host provides the grilling meats and the guests bring a dish to share – potluck style. It’s fun to try everyone’s favorite dish and exchange recipes, whether it’s salads, beans, or dessert.
This baked bean recipe has turned out to be a favorite among our group. It’s easy to put together and provides a twist on the classic by adding sausage and a blend of different beans. This recipe makes enough for a small group, but you can easily double it to feed a crowd.
Calico Baked Beans
- 1/2 of package (12 oz) breakfast sausage – regular flavor
- 2 cans (15 oz each) pork and beans – drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) white beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 of package (1.25 oz) dry taco seasoning
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, and drain grease.
- In a casserole dish, combine all ingredients. Cover with foil or lid and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until hot and bubbly.
These beans are delicious with a bit of South-Western flair from the seasoning. The mixture is also nice and thick so no juice will run into other food on your plate. Serve this at your next potluck gathering and I’ll bet you get asked for the recipe!